This beautiful creation came out exactly like I wanted. Sometimes, I’ve just got a taste that I must create–and this one hit the spot on the first try!
I’m so inspired by many of the one bowl meals I’ve seen on many blogs–and wanted to try my hand at one. But since I’ve got a sweet tooth and an itching for all things fall, this Maple-Balsamic inspired dish was a perfect solution.
I’d like to say that this recipe serves 2 people, but let’s be honest. I eat a LOT. Like, a LOT. So, this is a one portion meal for me. Partly because I was lazy & didn’t make anything else. To make this a full meal–and to make it stretch a bit, next time, I will most likely serve a salad first and add a piece of chicken to my husband’s–and that’s a full meal.
Regardless, it’s very simple to double or even triple this recipe!
A few things about this recipe:
- Make your brown rice ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to get it very cold. That helps make for a crispy stir fry. I usually make a huge bowl of rice at the beginning of the week because Mexican Rice Bowls are always on the menu around here.
- I use a soy-free Vegan butter made by Earth Balance because my son Beckham can eat it–and it saves me from having to make an extra meal.
- 1 cup Brussels Sprouts, ends trimmed & cut in half
- 1 t oil
- 1.5 t balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 2 large carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 heaping t vegan
- drizzle of maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- spoonful of vegan
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cold
- 1 t sesame seeds, plus more for topping
- ½ t Sriracha sauce
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place trimmed & cut Brussels sprouts in a small baking dish.
- Add oil, vinegar, and salt.
- Stir until combined.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, put chopped carrots in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small saucepan, combine Maple-Balsamic glaze ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, and let boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened. Set aside.
- Drain carrots, and return to pan. Add the butter, maple syrup, and salt. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a wok, melt a spoonful of butter.
- Add rice, and saute until heated through and crisp.
- Add cooked carrots, roasted Brussels Sprouts, sesame seeds, and Sriracha sauce.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add Maple-Balsamic glaze & stir fry until heated through.
- Top with green onion & sesame seeds.