Allergen Information: Contains dairy (substitution given). Gluten free, soy free.
Out of all the beautiful, amazingly good foods God made, carrots are my favorite. I really don’t know why–they just are! I eat them in some form everyday: in salads, in wraps, in stir fry, or roasted on their own.
This is a dish that is simple enough that no one can mess it up, but “gourmet” looking enough to impress your family or guests.
What I love about this dish (besides the carrots!) is its versatility.
Are you lactose intolerant, allergic to dairy, or vegan? Simply leave out the cheese, and the recipe still tastes great!
Don’t have coconut oil? Use some grass-fed butter (Read this article to help you decide what kind of butter to use).
Don’t like cumin or cinnamon? Salt & pepper do just fine.
I’m telling you, this is basic.
So, the first thing to do it buy some rainbow carrots. I buy mine locally, but your local health food store will have them, too. If there are no rainbow carrots, try to get some thinner carrots with the tops still attached. If all else fails, get some organic carrots in a bag and cut them in matchsticks!
I prefer to leave the tops on mine to roast (just cut or pull off the greens), but you could cut them off if you like.
Preheat the oven….Peel the carrots….Melt the coconut oil….Pour on top…Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, cumin, and cinnamon (to taste).
I do a few sprinkles of cumin, and about twice as much cinnamon–just because that’s what I like. Feel free to put as much or little spice as you want!
Bake for 20 minutes, top with soft goat cheese (chevre) or my favorite goat feta (or organic cow feta if you have no problems with dairy) and VOILA–you have an amazing side dish! (Or if you’re me, a large dinner of carrots!!)
- 1 large bunch (or two small bunches) of rainbow carrots, greens removed and peeled (see note)
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- cumin, to taste (about ⅛-1/4 t)
- cinnamon to taste (about ¼-1/2 t)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place carrots on pan and pour melted coconut oil on top.
- Add desired spices on top.
- Using tongs, mix together until well coated.
- Place in oven and roast for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Take carrots out of oven and top with soft goat cheese or feta.
- Serve warm & Enjoy!
**Please use organic ingredients when possible