I must admit I had never eaten cauliflower until about a year ago (You’re seeing a pattern here). And I’m thirty. I know, it’s kind of crazy, but honestly, it was a little weird to me. And chalky. And not broccoli. I LOVE broccoli.
But my curiosity got the best of me, and I went for it. Cauliflower “rice,” cauliflower “potatoes,” and my favorite, roasted cauliflower and chickpeas with a mustard dressing.
I was diggin’ it. And diggin’ in.
Then football season came around, and I kept seeing those buffalo cauliflower wings all over social media. I had no idea I missed chicken wings until I saw those suckers. We’ve perfected this recipe by now (yes, it’s coming to you soon!), but along the way, I saw this concept for the tater tots.
I’ve made them a couple of times to get them where we like them (and to make some adjustments for allergies/intolerances). Last time I made them, I sat on that couch, chewing slowly, absolutely flabbergasted that there wasn’t actual cheese in these things. If you’re dairy free, you know these moments don’t come often, but when they do, relish in them. Remember them. Love them.
So here’s our version–they are perfect as a side to a burger (veggie or with meat!) or as an appetizer for a get together! Don’t forget to serve it with the Buffalo Thousand Island sauce 🙂
**If you don’t have food intolerances or allergies, you can make a few substitutions to make it a little easier for you, although I’ve never tried these! (You can refer to the original recipe linked above). For the “flax egg,” a regular egg will work. For the “nutritional yeast,” you can sub equal or more shredded cheese. For the “gluten free breadcrumbs,” use regular breadcrumbs. For the “gluten free all purpose flour blend,” use regular whole wheat flour.
Spicy Cauliflower Tater Tots
2 cups cauliflower florets, steamed & soft (about 5-7 minutes of steaming)
1 “flax egg” (mix 1 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 3 Tablespoons of water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes)
1/2 cup onion, peeled & diced
3 T fresh parsley, chopped finely
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast (found at health food store)
1/4 cup buffalo sauce (like Frank’s)
1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (I used crushed Rice Chex)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
gluten free flour blend for dusting
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Buffalo Thousand Island Sauce:
1/4 cup Vegenaise (or organic mayo if no egg issues)
2 Tablespoons organic ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon hot sauce
**Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. After you’ve steamed the cauliflower, chop as finely as you can. You can pulse in a food processor, but you don’t want it to become mushy.
2. Put chopped cauliflower in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze as much water out of it as you can.
3. Put all tater tot ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and stir well.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan.
5. Meanwhile, put a small ball (about a tablespoon) of dough in your hands and form a tater tot. Put a little bit of water on your hands if mixture sticks to you–that will help! Sprinkle or roll tater tot in the gluten free flour blend.
6. Place in the frying pan and fry for about 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway. You want the outside to be golden brown, and starting to harden.
7. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
8. Flip the tater tots and bake 7-10 more minutes, bumping the heat to BROIL for the last few minutes. Watch carefully that they don’t burn or get too brown.
9. Serve warm with Buffalo Thousand Island Sauce or ketchup. Enjoy!