I wouldn’t have made it through high school & college without Kraft Easy Mac. Shoot, I wouldn’t have made it through my childhood with regular ole’ Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with ketchup on top (YES!) or Velveeta Shells n’ Cheese.
Between those things and Spaghettios, that was my diet.
I’m always open about my diet previous to eating a whole, real foods lifestyle to show you how far I’ve come. And far each of us can come.
I know that not everyone needs to stay away from dairy and gluten. But for those that do, mac & cheese is one of those things that we just MISS.
I have made/tried many alternatives, and this happens to be my favorite. I love Detoxinista’s version, but hers has cashews in it, which can become expensive. Plus, I love having a nut-free option for those who need it.
If you’ve never tasted Nutritional Yeast before, this might be a little bit of a different taste for your buds. It’s not nearly as weird as its name sounds (I actually love it!) and you can find it in the organic section of the grocery store. I prefer to buy mine from the bulk bins at a health food store. It’s SUPER cheap that way!
Unlike Kraft who uses chemicals and preservatives to create that yellow-y orange look, I use mustard, turmeric, mustard powder, and nutritional yeast to make these shells and cheese a bright yellow. It’s creamy, it’s flavorful, it’s inexpensive, and it’s a wonderful alternative for those needing to avoid major allergens!
Optional add ins: Roasted Broccoli or English Peas
- 2 T non-dairy butter (Earth Balance) or coconut oil
- 2 T tapioca flour
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk for nut free version)
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 1 t lemon juice
- ½ t dry mustard
- ½ t turmeric
- ½ t garlic powder
- ¼ t onion powder
- 1½ t sea salt
- 8 oz gluten free shells, cooked according to package directions
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the tapioca flour and whisk until thick roux forms.
- Gradually add in the milk, whisking until all lumps are gone.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in all other ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and gently stir until combined.