Allergen Info: Free of top 8 Allergens
Special Equipment: Crockpot
This soup has the feel of chili but with a twist, and it perfectly satisfied my need for a “feel good” soup on our first (and only?) winter snow here in SC. I made two batches in case we were “snowed in” (which doesn’t take too much down here)! It lasted less than 24 hours—wait, the snow or the soup?? I’ll let YOU guess 🙂
I love how the flavors in this soup blend together, but still emit a slight hint of jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and lime.
It doesn’t take too much work to put this soup together–and if you can get up a little bit earlier, you could let it simmer all day in the crockpot while at work….Dinner made easy!
Before you make the soup, you’ll need to roast the red pepper. I suppose you could leave this step out (or throw them in with the onion when you saute), but I just love the flavor the roasted pepper gives the soup!
The steps are simple.
How to Roast a Red Pepper:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the pepper into fourths and de-seed
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and roast for 25-28 minutes. It won’t matter if the tops of your peppers get black because you’ll be peeling the skin off anyways. (If you are stretched for time, try roasting at a higher temperature or even broil!)
- Place peppers in a brown paper bag and roll down a few times
- Let steam for about 10-15 minutes
- Take the peppers out and peel back the skin and remove
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ large onion, sauteed
- ½ roasted red pepper (use the whole thing if you love it!)
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn (ORGANIC is a must here!)
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 t salt
- 1 lime, zest & juice
- 5-7 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves chopped
- While roasting the red pepper, chop and saute the onion.
- Add all ingredients except the lime and cilantro in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, add the cilantro, lime juice, and zest.
- Serve hot with sliced avocado and tortilla chips!