With summer approaching, I find myself feeling nostalgic and longing for the days of old–like ice cream trucks, long hot days, lightning bugs, and fresh watermelon.
But since going dairy free [and since embracing a clean eating lifestyle], ice cream hasn’t been on my list. Even “good organic” ones can be filled with lots of sugar….and sugar is bad for a former sugar addict like me. While there are many dairy free alternatives out there, I haven’t found one that I like as much a simple frozen banana. Plus, speciality items like that can be very expensive. And ain’t nobody got time for that!
Many days, simple “Nice Cream” is enough, but sometimes I like to spruce it up, and this Neapolitan Nice Cream always does it for me!
I have to warn you though—it won’t taste like fake sweeteners, and if you’re new to the clean eating lifestyle, it may not be sweet enough for you. In that case, you can always add a tiny bit of maple syrup in each layer, maybe 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon. I would make it as is, and taste as you go. [the fun part!!]
It’s plenty sweet for me—and it doesn’t leave me feeling bloated like the old milk filled kinds did. Even if you enjoy dairy products, it never hurts to try something different just for a change.
This makes a large portion, so you can share, or if you’re like me, enjoy it all to yourself without any guilt. No, I’m not worried about all the bananas and fruit in the recipe, for many reasons. I don’t count calories, servings, etc. It’s just my personal philosophy that works for me–but not for everyone. I eat a diet full of many raw and cooked vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and seeds and love to “carb up” on healthy carbs like bananas. I don’t eat processed foods, eat as freshly and organically as possible, and eat food as close to nature as possible. So, no, I don’t fee bad about eating 5 bananas 🙂
If you’re following our Real Food Challenges on Facebook, you know we’ve started some routines:
-drinking warm lemon water in the morning, and citrus infused water throughout the day
-eating greens through a salad a day, or other ways
-snacking on in season fruit, or fruit in general
As you’re building your routines, hopefully you’ll start seeing changes. And next time you have a craving for ice cream [morning, noon, or night!!] give this recipe a shot.
A note: When I make this recipe, I drink the whole thing as a meal. It always gives me lots of energy. If I were eating it as a dessert, I’d most likely split it 🙂
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup frozen cherries
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk, or plant based milk of choice
- 2 frozen bananas
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, or plant based milk of choice
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, or plant based milk of choice.
- In a blender, put the strawberry layer ingredients in, and blend. You will need to stop and push the sides down. It may take some time, but be patient. You want it more like a thick ice cream consistency--not soupy at all. You can add more almond milk if necessary, BUT be careful not to add too much, since you want the layers thick so they don't bleed into each other.
- Once you've got the desired consistency, pour the strawberry layer into a large jar--or pour evenly into several smaller ones.
- Rinse the blender, and repeat the same steps with the other two layers, remembering to keep the layers thick.
- Top with extra cacao nibs or coconut and enjoy!