This is a yummy, light soup for the Spring–but is also loaded full of vegetables and protein packed lentils. Its light flavor comes from a hint of lemon and a strong dill and oregano spice.
I hope you enjoy!
Lemon & Lentil Greek Soup
Serves: 4 servings
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 russet potato, washed and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 t dried dill
- 1 t sea salt
- dash of pepper
- ¾ cup green French lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- zest from half a lemon
- juice from half of lemon
- 2 cups kale, washed and chopped
- Put the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the onion and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrots, celery, zucchini, and potato.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all spices and saute a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Add lentils and vegetable broth and stir.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce back to medium-low, cover, and cook for about 30-35 minutes until lentils and potatoes are soft. You may need to stir occasionally.
- Add lemon zest, juice, and kale and stir until the kale is wilted.
- Serve warm and enjoy!