Allergen Information: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free. Contains Tree Nuts (substitution given).
Every good bowl of soup needs a matching muffin. For me, this one hits the spot, especially with anything Mexican. There’s a subtle, yet flavorful combination of sweet honey and spicy jalapeno.
We paired this muffin with our Savory Southwest Chili, but they would be perfect for any soup needing a extra kick.
The ground flax seed and almond mixture will act as your binding agent, like your egg would. When you eat this corn muffin, you’ll be amazed at how fluffy and moist they are!
Here in South Carolina, we are preparing for our first snow this year, and we just made two batches of these along with two batches of soup to munch on the next few days…..
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (see note)
- 1.5 T ground flax seed
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ honey (use local if possible!)
- 1 cup corn meal (*ORGANIC important here!)
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour (see note)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, & chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- Mix almond milk and ground flax seed in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix applesauce and honey. Stir until well combined.
- Add the almond-flax mixture to the applesauce and honey and stir.
- Slowly stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in jalapenos.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Brush some honey on top of muffins while hot.
2. You can buy oat flour, but if you have a high powered blender, you can make your own out of gluten-free oats by putting them in the blender and blending on high for about 10 seconds. I find it easier to do that than to buy oat flour, since I don't use that very often.