As we get closer to the feel of fall, my body starts craving comfort food. And for me, one of those foods is a good homemade spaghetti.
Since I’m juggling my vegan lifestyle and my husband’s meat lovin’ one, I usually make this tasty marinara and cook ground turkey on the side (with mushrooms too since I don’t like the texture) for him to add in as we fix our plates.
It’s been the best solution for our family! Those are things you can certainly add in to this recipe –or make “as-is” for a plant-based version of spaghetti.
To make this a complete meal, I serve with organic brown rice spaghetti noodles (or you could use 100% Whole Wheat noodles), a salad, and garlic bread that I make using Ezekiel Bread, Earth Balance Butter, and Garlic Powder. Sometimes, I add sautéed kale or these sweet and spicy Brussels sprouts if I have time!
Because my youngest son is dairy-free and I’m a vegan, I had to figure out a way to still have that Parmesan topping. This raw, cashew-based Parmesan takes about two minutes to make, and can be stored in the fridge for as long as you need. I use it to top pizzas, salads, and more!
- ½ large onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- veggie broth or water for sautéing
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ T maple syrup
- ½ T crushed red pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 T nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic.
- When they start sticking to the pan, add a little bit of water or veggie broth until it stops sticking. Repeat when necessary.
- Continue to saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add all other ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to a slow boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and cover for 15-20 minutes (or longer for better flavor), stirring on and off.
- Meanwhile, add all Cashew Parmesan ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until it looks like Parmesan Cheese.
- Serve with whole grain noodles, salad, and garlic bread! Enjoy!