Tofu was definitely something on my food journey that took me a while to understand. I didn’t eat it for years, even after becoming vegan. But over time, I learned to not only appreciate it, but LOVE IT.
Part of the process is to know how to cook it, which took me a while. Normally I enjoy it crispy in Asian Dishes or on a salad, but tofu also makes a fabulous savory breakfast. It breaks apart to look like scrambled eggs–and once you add spices to it, it even resembles the color.
I introduce you to this EASY TOFU SCRAMBLE.
It really is simple, and only takes about 10 minutes to make (not including the time to press it.)
When buying tofu, make sure to buy organic tofu–as well as EXTRA FIRM. There are different varieties, but I always stick with Extra Firm because it has less moisture, so to me it makes for the best texture.
To drain/press it, simply take it out of the packaging and wrap it in paper towels. Place in a strainer or in the kitchen sink and place something heavy on top of it to apply pressure. I use a large jar of spaghetti sauce or my sugar jar. This process will get the moisture out.
I usually drain the tofu while I’m chopping veggies and by the time the veggies have sautéed, the tofu is ready to go.
You could trade out (or add!) veggies in this for anything you like–mushrooms, peppers, asparagus. Adjust to your taste!
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 t oil
- 1 small onion or ½ medium/large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ carton cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large handful spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ t sea salt
- ½ t cumin
- ½ t tumeric
- ½ t smoked paprika
- a few dashes of pepper
- hot sauce, for topping
- Take the tofu out of the package and wrap in paper towels.
- Place in sink and put something heavy on top of it to drain the moisture out.
- Drain for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Push veggies to one side of the pan.
- Add the tofu to the open side of the pan, and with a fork, smash the tofu until it resembles scrambled eggs.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl. Add enough water to make a paste.
- Stir the paste into the tofu mixture and keep stirring until mixed well.
- Add the spinach and sauté the mixture for a few more minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- If the mixture looks dry, you could add a tiny bit of water or veggie broth.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and top with hot sauce.
- Serve with home fries, avocado toast, or fruit. Enjoy!