When the new year rolls around, most of us are looking for that reset button. And sometimes, we put ourselves in the doghouse, realizing how much Christmas actually cost us!
We didn’t go crazy on Christmas this year, but we love a good rice and beans meal during the week. The benefits? It’s cheap. It makes a lot. It’s filling. And did I say cheap?
These beans are full of flavor and make a nice meal–what we like to call a Rice Bowl. We are SO original, huh? The great thing is that you can add any toppings you’d like: avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, corn, etc.
This meal takes less than 5 minutes to put together…a HUGE plus for this busy mom! I usually throw the beans in the crockpot at night and the rice in my rice cooker and deal with it in the morning.
If you get tired of plain ole rice and beans, have a taco night and use the leftovers on top. Options galore!
A couple of notes:
1. I buy my dried beans in the bulk section of a health food store to save money, but you can also buy them at any regular grocery store.
2. Wear gloves when cutting your jalapeno to avoid hot hands!
3. You can also use whatever type of beans you want in this recipe. This is the combination I like, but feel free to choose your favorite. Just make sure it adds up to 1.5 cups!
4. You can discard the big chunks of onion if you choose (after it’s done), but I love onions & prefer to eat them 🙂
- ¾ cup dried black beans
- ¾ cup dried pinto beans
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into fourths
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Put all ingredients in a crockpot.
- Cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa, and/or toppings!