Allergen Info: Gluten free, soy-free, dairy free, egg free, vegan, vegetarian
You can be a vegan. You can be plant based. You can be a junk-food junkie. You can eat chicken wings, or not. And I promise you’ll love these Cauliflower wings. The only catch? You better like hot.
I’m talkin’ about the nose running, sweat coming out of your face pores hot. Franks Hot Sauce might as well be a food group, right? Take away milk. Take away cheese. Take away meat. But don’t you dare take away my hot sauce.
I can just see my mother sitting on her couch, reading this post, scratching her head, wondering if she’s more surprised by that fact that I now eat hot sauce or cauliflower. The older I get, the more I’m full of surprises 😉
I’ve seen these wings around the blog world for a long time–but it took me some time to get the batter we liked–and to convert it to a gluten-free recipe. I started with this recipe from Nom Yourself and tweaked until we were 100% satisfied. I only had to make them 6-8 times…darn 😉
If you are not gluten free, feel free to use regular whole wheat flour and regular beer. But for those gluten free peeps, make sure you also get a gluten free beer. I like New Planet and New Grist. I find them both at my Whole Foods Market, but usually stick with New Grist because I can buy a single beer for around $2, rather than a 6-pack for $10. Since I don’t drink beer (it’s just YUCK to me), this makes more sense.
If you are not gluten free, and using regular wheat beer, it’s still wise to make a good choice–for your health. You can read this article to see what’s wrong with mainstream beers, and you can find a good alternative at a health food store.
Serve these incredible wings with a batch of my dairy-free homemade ranch dressing or your favorite healthy ranch.
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ cup gluten-free beer
- 1 cup plus 3 T gluten-free all purpose flour blend
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t baking powder
- ¾ cup Frank's hot sauce
- 2 T vegan (soy-free if necessary) margarine (or regular butter if not vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 batch dairy-free ranch dressing (recipe link above)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Cut the cauliflower in bite size pieces and set aside.
- Combine almond milk, beer, flour, garlic powder, and baking powder in a large bowl and stir with a fork until just combined, getting the lumps out as best you can.
- Dip each cauliflower wing in the batter, letting the excess batter run off the fork.
- Place each wing on the prepared sheet, not touching another wing.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean out the batter bowl to use later.
- Heat the hot sauce and butter in a small saucepan until melted.
- When the wings are finished cooking and golden brown, remove from oven.
- Using a spatula, put half of the wings in the large bowl and pour half of the hot sauce mixture on top.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Put the wings back on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with the second half of wings.
- Bake 5-7 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and serve with ranch dressing.