Allergen Information: Free of the top 8 allergens
As the days get sunnier, my soul longs for summer-like foods. I literally dream of cookouts and berry cobblers and friends. Oh that beautiful smell. (Ok, maybe not the friends 🙂 )
This salad is a wonderful side for a pot-luck, BBQ, or just to have in the fridge for a lunch. It’s easy to double the recipe to make for a large group.
Maybe if we all make this next week, we’ll shooooo the cold weather away and bring on the heat! Who’s with me?!
For the dressing, we use the Soy-Free version of Vegenaise so that our Beckham can eat it, but if you have no allergy to soy, you can use the regular kind. It makes a little too much for this salad, so you can save some of the dressing for another salad for the week if you like (or add more broccoli).
*If you’re a bacon lover, add some crumbled bacon to this salad for some extra flavor. Just make sure to buy bacon without nitrates from a humanely raised animal. Check your local health food store or local farmer’s markets for the good stuff!
- 1 cup Vegenaise
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 2 T local honey
- 1 t dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 2 large heads broccoli, de-stemmed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2-3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled (optional, see note)
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Put remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir until combined.
- Fold in desired amount of dressing (I don't put all of it in there) until combined.
- Best if chilled for about an hour (but not necessary).
Please use all organic ingredients when possible.
Use leftover dressing however you like!