Ok, y’all–sometimes you just need french fries, right? For me this journey is about discovery, pleasure, and a full life. And let me tell you–my life wouldn’t be FULL without good ole french fries from white potatoes.
My go-to meal a few years ago was a Super Size Fry at McDonald’s with four barbeque sauces and a Large Dt. Dr. Pepper. I’m actually serious. I even begged friends to bring them to me when I was stuck at home at nighttime with kiddos. So yeah, things have come a long way!
I love making these fries as a side to homemade burgers (grass-fed beef for the hubby and a veggie-bean patty for me!) or as a way to spice up any plain sandwich.
They’re pretty easy. And they’re tasty–without the crap and oil and heart attack.
I learned a pretty cool trick from my favorite blog Oh She Glows about how to make them crispy–without a ton of oil and without frying–Arrowroot powder! You can find this little white powder (kind of like cornstarch) at a health food store or organic section of a grocery store. I like the Bob’s Red Mill brand. With the leftovers, you can use it to thicken sauces or in anything that calls for cornstarch.
- 3 large russet potatoes (organic best), washed and cut in wedges
- 2 T grape seed or olive oil
- 2.5 T arrowroot powder
- ½-1 T coconut sugar
- 1 t paprika
- ½ t smoked paprika
- ½ t garlic powder
- ½ t chili powder
- ¼ t onion powder
- ⅛ t cayenne pepper
- ¾ t sea salt
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 t minced garlic
- 2 T lemon juice
- ½ t sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Line pans with parchment paper.
- Place wedges in a large ziploc bag (I did half at a time--or use two bags).
- Drizzle oil over wedges and massage bag until combined.
- Pour arrowroot powder in bag and shake vigorously until well coated.
- Pour BBQ spices in the bag and shake again until well coated.
- Place wedges on pans, making sure the potatoes don't touch.
- Put in oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine aioli ingredients and place in fridge until ready to eat.
- Take pans out of oven and flip the wedges.
- Bake another 10-12 minutes until golden and crispy!