Allergen Information: Free of top 8 allergens. Dairy, Egg, Nut, Tree Nut, Gluten, Soy free. Contains coconut.
Gluten-free baking is tricky, it’s tough, and it’s time consuming. But sometimes, you just hit the jackpot.
These muffins are incredible. For my gluten-free friends (or heck, our dairy, egg, nut, or soy free friends, too), you really just won’t believe how tasty these are without the traditional ingredients. For our other friends, you’ll be so surprised how hearty and flavorful food can be without some of the things you are used to!
I don’t know how to convert these to “regular” muffins because each ingredient plays a role in making the gluten-free flour work. I challenge you to make these exactly like the recipe and be pleasantly surprised at how gluten-free can be amazing. Maybe it’ll stop getting such a bad rap!
For those on the Elimination Diet, I hope these will breathe new life in your lungs. I know how hard it is to find tasty treats without eggs, gluten, dairy, or tree nuts. For the Eos, hopefully you can adjust based to your ‘safe’ foods or have something to look forward to!
Between my husband, Beckham (the only one of our children who can eat these), and me, I know these won’t last long. But if you are cooking these for one or two, feel free to pop them in the freezer and take them out as needed! Enjoy!
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 T ground flax seed with 3 T of water & let sit for 5 minutes to gel)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, softened but not melted
- 2 t gluten-free vanilla
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 t chia seeds
- 1½ t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 count muffin pan with silicone liners or paper liners.
- Make flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten free flour, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together maple syrup, applesauce, flax egg, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly in the muffin tin.
- Bake 18-20 minutes
- As soon as you can, take the muffins out of the muffin tin and place on a cooling rack to prevent further cooking